Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Vintage find: carpet balls?

A couple of weekends ago my husband, my dad and I drove to Colorado to visit family.  We had a great trip and all get along really well - a helpful thing when you will be in the car together for an eight hour drive.

One thing we have in common is our love for antiques and vintage stuff of all shapes and sizes.  While we were in Denver, we revisited a great antique shop.  We found some really cool stuff!

On the way home, my dad suggested that when we stopped in Hays for gas and a short break, we should check out the antique stores near the interstate.

We had a great time roaming around the store.  It's fun to see what we can find and what interests we all might be "shopping" for during that trip.

I stumbled onto something I had never seen - not uncommon in an antique store.  That is why I love to shop vintage with someone else.  There is a lot of fun to be had in asking someone, "what do you think this is?"  And, if neither of you know, the guessing is always good for a laugh.

At one booth, I found a wooden box loaded with these glass balls.  I have seen the contemporary version in a lot of home decor stores, but these had such cool patterns and were heavier than the newer versions.  I couldn't resist getting the whole lot.  The tag said they were carpet balls.

Once we got back into the car, my husband started researching them.  We learned that there is a Victorian era game where the object is to knock your opponents game pieces to the end of the table or field before they can do the same to your own.  These glass balls are the game pieces.

I am not 100 percent sure these are not reproduction or that they have any value at all, though, I love the colors and patterns and think they look really nice on the dining table.  Carpet balls - who knew?

No comments: