Friday, February 17, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness Day


"Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  - Princess Diana


A friend sent this quote to me through Facebook following my post about Generosity Day.  I loved that my friend thought of me and passed along this sentiment.


February is full of prompts for us to love one another!  Today is Random Acts of Kindness Day and I am thinking of ways to participate.


As a follow up to Generosity Day/Valentine's Day on Tuesday, one of my best moments was bringing candy to the high school class where I was a guest lecturer.  Candy.  Teenagers.  Not rocket science...they were really happy.


My husband and I have been having a string of what we would call bad luck. He posted this graphic on my Facebook page with a note that we needed some luck.


I keep thinking that our giving should be pushing good karma our way.  Not so much this Monday.  We had a very frustrating day with some expensive repairs to some property in our near future.


Our mantra is that "it is all going to work out."  We often don't know how or when, but we just keep that faith that it will indeed work out.


Monday was tough.  And since Tuesday was Valentine's Day, I was trying to think creatively about some small things that might brighten his day.




I brought him an iced tea from Starbucks.  Usually a huge hit, but they were out of black tea because the overflow of Valentine's flowers from the floral department was blocking their inventory in the back.  I got green tea instead and it wasn't his favorite.  Bummer.


A side note:  I would go back to this Starbucks again on Valentine's Day because while you wait for your drink, you can watch all of the men shopping for their sweethearts.  It was after 6 p.m. and some looked confused, some worried, and some clueless.  A good random act of kindness might have been someone just walking around helping them make decisions or complimenting their choices to give them some confidence.  It was quite the site!




For gift number two, I bought him $12 worth of scratch lottery tickets and put a note with them that said, "We make our own luck!"  We had a few winners in the pile and had some fun scratching the tickets.

Now, off to practice some kindness.

No comments: