Saturday, March 24, 2012

Plant geek: what's blooming?

 Today was a gorgeous day in Kansas! We had mild temperatures, sunshine, and no wind.  Perfect.

We had a long list of yard and garden projects and had no other commitments today.  We have slowly chipped away at the flower beds over the past two weeks - cutting away dead plant material, raking up leaves, repositioning edging, and pulling early emerging weeds.

I was super excited to see that the bleeding hearts were blooming.  It's still pretty early, but most everything is several weeks ahead this spring.
The hyacinths are blooming, too.  And, I have to say this might be the first year that our crop looks anything better than spindly.

I have a special place in my heart for these flowers.  Years ago, my grandma was planning a baby shower  and she was telling me about the plans for the decorations and she wanted to use spring flowers.  The star of the centerpieces was going to be some hyacinths she had in her yard.  Her Depression-era sensibilities had her using something homegrown and beautiful.

I felt so special because she talked to me about the baby shower plans like I was a grown up, even though I might have been six or seven years old. We talked and talked.  Then, we went outside and picked the hyacinths and she told me to take in their fragrance.  Now, I can't smell a hyacinth without thinking about my grandma.  She taught me to love these spring flowers on that day and so many more lessons over the years. I am so thankful for her influence on my life.
Back to our yard...I am still loving these volunteer violas.

No comments: