Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Adventures in cooking: a surprise hit

It is no secret that my husband is not a big fan of some of my favorite foods - avocado might be at the top of the list.  I have converted him to appreciating broccoli, hummus, and a few others foods that he would not even consider when we were first married.  I am on a personal mission to expand his food horizons.

This Sunday was another beautiful day and we spent a lot of time in the yard, garden and alpaca pen working on projects.  At lunch time, we wanted something quick and light to enjoy before heading back outside to work.  I remembered I had picked up the ingredients for a new sandwich - the recipe was from Two Peas and Their Pod and it was the perfect option for lunch.  The only problem....my husband doesn't like avocados!

I told him I was going to make lunch and that he should keep an open mind.  He said he was scared.

When it was all said and done, the sandwich was a big hit!  Jeremy liked it and I did, too.  This is a definite keeper!


Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich


Yield: Salad for 3-4 sandwiches    Prep Time: 10 minutes       Total Time: 10 minutes



1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1 large ripe avocado
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
Juice from 1 lime
Salt and pepper, to taste
Bread of your choice
Fresh spinach leaves or other sandwich toppings: lettuce, tomato slices, sprouts, etc.


  1. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Place on a paper towel (optional: and remove the outer skins). 
  2. In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher smash the chickpeas and avocado together. Add in cilantro, green onion, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  3. Spread salad on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings. 


No comments: