Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hammond's Candies

Hammond's Candies in Denver, Colorado has been on our list of places to visit for several years, especially for my dad.  He joined my husband and me for a trip to Denver to visit family and celebrate his birthday this weekend. We decided to adventure out for a factory tour on Saturday.

If you are looking for a free and fun thing to do when you visit Denver, this just might fit the bill.

We arrived in time for the first tour of the day at 10 a.m. and there was already a small crowd.  And, interestingly enough, someone else on the tour recognized me from my job.  He was a grad student on our campus a few years ago and one of the kids in his group wore a K-State shirt - small world!


The tour began with a short video that introduced us to the company and the many types of candies they make.  They are known for their candy canes, ribbon candy, and delicious chocolate.

The tour guide then took us to a viewing room where you can observe the production area.  It was amazing to watch the cooks hard at work making candy.  I discovered that the ingredients and processes are very much the same as when the company was founded in 1920.

The next stop is a viewing room that allows you to observe the packing area.  The guide also told us about the process to make the marshmallows that are the center of my favorite Hammond's candy - caramel covered marshmallows.


It was St. Patrick's Day and I thought this was a cute display by the register.


Who doesn't love purple and white lollipops the size of your hand?  My dad got a couple of these for my nieces and I think they will love them.

Check them out the next time you are in Denver - they even have a kiosk at DIA.

No comments: