Monday, May 14, 2012

Plant geek: irises

Beth Botts in Organic Gardening magazine highlighted heritage irises in the April/May 2012 issue.  She reported that in Greek mythology, Iris was the goddess of the rainbow and she carried messages from the earth to the sky.

I held onto this factoid about one of my favorite flowers because I am a true plant geek.  I am fully aware that few people would find spring flowers and Greek goddesses interesting, yet I proudly waive my plant geek flag.

It is no secret that spring flowers in general are a favorite of mine.  The irises have been blooming like crazy as of late and while I haven't have much time to photograph them, I have been sneaking quick walks through the yard to catch them when they are at their best.

We were so excited when a new variety finally bloomed for us.  Thought you would enjoy seeing these beauties!




No comments: