Sunday, December 27, 2009

Cool find

My previous post about Good Juju spoke of these great bookends by artist Tom Hogan. The glass blocks have decorative stained glass and I love the play of the silver, etched glass, and white. Tom's studio is called Views, 816-509-7332.

I am also in love with my Christmas present from my mom. Check out The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond and her wild ranch life in Oklahoma. http://thepioneerwoman.com/

Her recipes are simple ranch fare and admittedly high calorie. I am looking forward to giving some of her dishes a try over break and going over and over her delightful book. She does her own photography and the pictures from her working ranch are just as beautiful as the pictures of food.

My next food adventure is preparing the quail and pheasant in my freezer. Jeremy, my dad, and my father-in-law went hunting this fall and brought back several birds. I was feeling very confident and dreamy after reading Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously and accepted all of the harvest. (Note: Does anyone else have a requirement of reading the books before seeing the movies? This is a must for me.) If a non-chef can master French cooking a la Julia Childs, I can at least cook some game birds. So, here is my plea...send me your best recipes for pheasant and quail. Let me confess that I love great tasting food that is simple, takes few ingredients, and does not create a million dishes. I want it all! Post them in comments on the blog and I promise to give updates on my progress and the results.

1 comment:

Megan's Little Kansas Life said...

These recipes came from Kitchen Pointers, a cookbook I helped put together for Pointer Rescue Org. I have not made the recipes but these Pointer people do a lot of hunting so I assume the know what they are talking about!

Roasted Quail
6 whole quail
1 c. prepared dressing of your choice
6 strips bacon
1/4 c. melted butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. poultry seasoning

Wipe off quail and fill cavity with dressing and truss. Mix salt, pepper, seasoning together and rub the outside of the quail. Wrap each quail with a strip of bacon and roast in the oven at 450 degrees for 15-20 min. Baste with butter several times during roasting.

Georgia Quail in Gravy
8 quail, cut up
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. butter or margarine
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 c. boiling water
2 T. all-purpose flour
2 T. water

Sprinkle quail with salt and pepper. Brown quail on both sides in butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Dissolve bouillon cube in boiling water and add to skillet. Cover and reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes until tender. Remove quail from skillet and set aside. Measure pan drippings add water if necessary to measure one cup. Combine flour and 2 T. water and gradually add to drippings. Cook over low heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Return quail to skillet and heat thoroughly. Remove quail to serving platter and serve with gravy. Note: biscuits go well with this.

Smothered Quail
6 Quail cut up
6 T. butter
3 T. flour
2 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. Sherry
Salt and Pepper
Cooked Rice

Prepare quail by browning them in butter in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven. Remove quail to baking dish. Add flour to butter in skillet. Stir well. Slowly add chicken broth and sherry. Salt and pepper to taste. Blend well and pour over quail. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Serve with cooked rice.

Baked Pheasant with Wild Rice
1 pheasant
Salt and pepper to taste
Flour
Cooking oil
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 small can mushrooms, drained
1 8-oz package wild rice

Cut pheasant into serving-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Roll in flour and brown well in small amount of oil in heavy skillet. Cook wild rice according to package directions. Combine the undiluted soups and mushrooms with cooked wild rice. Spoon half the mixture into oiled two-quart baking dish. Arrange pheasant pieces on top of rice mixture. Combine skillet drippings with remaining soup and rice mixture. Spoon over the pheasant. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. to an hour or until pheasant is tender.

Marinated Quail
1/2 c. white wine vinegar
1/4 c. plus 2 T. red burgundy wine
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
1/4 tsp. onion salt
1/4 tsp. ground Allspice
Pinch ground sage
2 tsp. bacon drippings
12 quail cleaned
Butter

Combine the first 8 ingredients mixing well. Add quail. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for about 24 hours turning quail several times. Put in cooking dish and bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes basting quail with marinade. Remove quail from marinade and grill for 10-20 min. basting often with butter.

I have a couple more pheasant recipes but they weren't as "easy" as these. Let me know if you want to see them!

Megan Sullenger