Wednesday, June 26, 2013

New favorite dessert

My new favorite dessert is super simple and very, very good.  I found this recipe ages ago and saved it to Evernote, but didn't give it a try until this spring.  While cleaning out the freezer, I discovered that I had stocked up (read over bought) frozen cherries.  I also had six small ramekins that are hardly ever used and I feel guilty when I have things that should be used.

You might say that I felt guilty and wasteful and thought I would feel better if I baked something.  I think that is a sign I need therapy.

Here are all the ways I changed in the recipe:
  • I used frozen cherries instead of fresh.  The desserts were still delicious and I save all of the time of pitting cherries.
  • I have six relatively small ramekins and used all six and just divided everything accordingly.
My secret wish is that my brother and sister-in-law let me host their wedding reception and they let me make this for the dessert.  Forget the wedding cake!  I want to make hundreds of these in jelly jars - baked just perfectly.  I would also talk my mom and husband into helping me scoop ice cream on top of each just before they were served.  This might also be a sign that I need therapy.

I am sorry that I don't know where I found this recipe, so I don't know how to credit it.

Fresh Cherry Crisp 
makes 4 individual servings


Ingredients:
2 cups pitted sour cherries
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter, melted

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spray four ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix the cherries with 2 T flour and white sugar.
  4. Evenly distribute the cherry mixture into four ramekins.
  5. Combine the oats, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the cherry mixture.
  6. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

No comments: