Monday, July 22, 2013

Plant geek vs. the rascally rabbit

 Each year I have certain planters that just call for certain plants.  The cast iron kettle we have near the entrance to the cellar just works so well for rose moss.  We love how well the plants stand up to the sun in this spot and the rose moss is so hardy.  If we forget to water it or it gets a deluge of rain runoff from the roof, the plants still hold on.

Apparently, we have a rabbit that agrees with us.  The rabbit began to make a dent in June and Jeremy called my attention to the fact that the rabbit had eventually eaten a whole section out of the middle.  The rabbit continues to knock out a section each day and he is about to wipe out the whole planter.

What baffles me is that the rabbit is bypassing the rose moss on the ground and going for that which is planted in the kettle.

I guess I should be thankful that the rabbit is staying out of the garden and just sticking to rose moss in a specific location.  My husband keeps telling me we need to do something about the rabbits in the yard and I am a little baffled by what is the right solution.  Any ideas?
Just a few feet away, the begonias are going strong, yet our picky rabbit doesn't seem to be interested.  I guess another reason to be grateful - our rabbit damage is contained - for now.

No comments: