Thursday, June 16, 2011

Customer service award

I love good customer service! This affinity for having people care about their work, look you in the eye, say "thank you" and mean it, and to try to make things right when things go wrong is most likely because that is part of my own job. I am kind of obsessed. When I encounter good or bad examples of taking care of people who consume something under your leadership, I think about it and talk about it a lot.

Last night after work I stopped at Starbucks for my favorite ice tea. Venti shaken black ice tea, unsweetened. Saying that phrase is like music to my ears. I consider getting one of these drinks a treat and it seemed like a great day for a treat.

The barista seemed kind of new and after I paid, I realized he didn't give me my small discount for my reusable cup. No worries. But, his co-worker handed me one of these little gems.

The outside says, "A cup should never be half empty."

The inside says, "We apologize if your Starbucks experience was anything but wonderful. We want to know how we can make things better and always invite you to share your thoughts with us. The next time we see you, please enjoy a beverage, on us. We hope your next visit is better."

I love this for many reasons. They didn't have to do anything! I wasn't even unhappy; I even told them it was ok. The concept is brilliant! They ask for your feedback and tell you it is because they want you to have a great experience. They invite you back! And, they give you something free! Who doesn't love a free beverage at Starbucks.

The Starbucks customer service experience is legendary and my own personal experience today confirms all that I have read. They try to make things right when things go wrong. I also know that the big corporate reputation of Starbucks makes them controversial. No matter how you feel about them, they do get some things right!

No comments: